Man whose headaches made him vomit had a tapeworm in brain for 10 years
For more than a decade, the man had been suffering from headaches whose effects gradually increased in intensity, causing him to vomit and faint.
The man attended Ascension Seton Medical Center in Austin where he had an MRI scan and doctors were able to find several tapeworm larvae of considerable size (a few inches long,) which were hosted in his brain.
The Texas man would have contracted the infection while eating raw, inadequately cooked or contaminated food. This rare infection is known as "neurocysticercosis." Eventually, he was immediately assisted and the experts managed to extract the parasite successfully.
His headaches stopped and he started to work again. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) from Atlanta, Georgia, around a thousand cases are diagnosed every year in the United States.
Normally, larvae get into the body after eating raw pork meat, contaminated dirt or after drinking unsafe water, among others.
Source: Sky News
More Viral Stories >>
- A mother was sentenced to 7 years in prison for injecting feces into her son's IV during cancer treatment
- Vegan parents charged with murder after starving child to death on diet of fruit and vegetables
- Woman who allegedly ripped hijab off student's head charged with hate crimes
- Kid Arrested After Paying With A Real $2 Bill - The Police Thought It Was Fake Due To Its Scarcity
- A Suicidal Man Intentionally Parked His Car On A Train Railroad, Causing A Train To Derail - 11 People Died